Wednesday 17 April 2013

What's this all about?


Seen as this is my first blog post I'll explain what on earth I'm posting it for.

Seen as I am going to university (hopefully) in September, having a blog seems like the best way to keep anyone that wants to know in the loop about what's going on in my life. If you don't want to know then don't feel obliged to read it, but hopefully you will enjoy it and if it turns out how I hope it will then it may well serve as a useful guide for anyone going to university.

As it says in the little description that I have put at the side, I will be talking about my experiences at uni as well as some parts of what is going on in my life spiritually (as above if you're put off then feel free to ignore any posts along those lines, but hopefully everyone is open minded enough to have a quick glance anyway). Also anything interesting that I learn or see in the news may get a post, especially if its aviation or computer related. This is after writing my extended project earlier in the year which was titled: "How to increase the efficiency of aircraft". This left me with loads of ideas and an insight into so many new discoveries and inventions that are out there and I feel that some of them are too good or just too weird not to be shared.

Okay, now you have a vague idea why I'm writing, I'll explain the name and background of the blog as well as a bit about me.

The above (and background) photo is a picture of me flying a Grob 109 (Vigilant) back on 11/03/2012, a week before I flew the same aircraft solo (ZH129) around 632 VGS (Volunteer Gliding Squadron) at RAF Ternhill. I don't have a Private Pilot's Licence (PPL) yet but I intend to have one in the future and may well be doing a bit of flying whilst at uni.

As for the name of the blog, 80,000ft and climbing seemed like a fitting title for something about a journey including aircraft and spirituality. For anyone that doesn't understand the quote the SR-71 "Blackbird" is a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft capable of speeds 3 times faster than the speed of sound, so generally the pilots don't have to worry about being hit by things very much.


Screenshot from the Tom Clancy game "HAWX"
Finally a bit about me, and don't worry, my posts won't usually be anywhere near this long.

I am currently studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level and should be going to The University of Sheffield in September to study Aerospace Engineering. Since 14 I have been in the Royal Air Force Air Cadets which is an organisation that has provided me with tons of information about aircraft as well as some amazing opportunities such as my gliding scholarship above. 

 I'm sure if you continue to read then you will learn plenty about me as I go along and I hope anyone that reads this gets something from it. Please feel free to comment or contact me privately.

1 comment:

  1. Was gonna put something witty, but i'm stupid,

    Batman :P

    ReplyDelete